This book brings together reliable, proven solutions for the heart of day-to-day iOS 7 development. Renowned iOS programming expert Erica Sadun and top iOS developer Rich Wardwell cover all you need to create successful iOS 7 mobile apps with standard APIs and interface elements and take full advantage of iOS 7 graphics, touches, and views.
As in all of Sadun’s iOS bestsellers, The Core iOS Developer’s Cookbook translates modern best practices into working code, distilling key concepts into concise recipes you can easily understand and apply in your own projects. This isn’t just cut-and-paste; using examples, Sadun and Wardwell fully explain both the “how” and “why” of effective iOS 7 development.
All code is fully revised and extensively tested to reflect new iOS 7 features and device capabilities.
- Creating advanced direct touch-based interfaces with multi-touch, gestures, and custom gesture recognizers
- Building and customizing controls in powerful new ways
- Creating interfaces that reflect the new iOS 7 design paradigm
- Implementing new iOS 7 motion effects
- Alerting users via pop-ups, progress bars, local notifications, popovers, audio pings, and more
- Using Xcode modules to easily integrate system frameworks and headers
- Assembling views and animation, organizing view hierarchies, and understanding how views work together
- Supporting multiple screen geometries with the breakthrough iOS 7 Auto Layout constraints system
- Controlling keyboards, making onscreen elements “text aware,” and efficiently scanning and formatting text
- Organizing user workspaces with view controllers
- Managing photos, videos, email, and text messages
- Leveraging the enhanced iOS 7 support for social media activities, including Flickr and Vimeo
- Implementing VoiceOver accessibility, including new iOS 7 text-to-speech
- Getting started with Core Data-managed data stores
- Leveraging the powerful iOS 7 networking and web services support
- Using the new iOS 7 APIs and added flexibility to enhance everything from reliability to text appearance
- Working around new iOS 7 problems and bugs